For Long Days
For Long Days offers a poetical reading of the enduring struggle for land through time. The film portrays the daily lives of landless peasants, from the intimate environs of their encampments through the 1997 National Land Tenure Reform March on Brasilia. The production is a free adaptation of a preface by José Saramago (winner of the 1998 Nobel Prize for Literature) to Sebastião Salgado’s photography collection Terra: The Struggle of the Landless.
Director and screenplay: Mauro Giuntini – Text: José Saramago – Producers: Marcio Curi and Mauro Giuntini – Executive producer: Marcio Curi – Director of production: Carla Gomide – Cinematographer: Waldir de Pina – Original soundtrack: Alex Queiroz and Cláudio Vinícius – Editor: Manfredo Caldas – Sound design: Dirceu Lustosa – Sound: Dizo Dal Moro – Locution: Francisco Milani
16mm/35mm - 1:85
Awards and Nominations
- Nominated for the Gran Brazilian Film Award, documentary category, 2000
- Best Film, Best Documentary, and Best Editing – 3rd Film and Video Festival of Curitiba, Brazil, 1999
- Special Jury Award – 27th Festival of Latin American and Brazilian Cinema of Gramado, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 1999.
- Best 16mm Film, Federal District Legislative Assembly Award – 31st Festival of Brazilian Cinema, Brasilia, 1998.
- Conterrâneos Award for best contribution to the depiction of Brazilian social reality, 31st Festival of Brazilian Cinema, Brasilia, 1999.
- Kodak Award for Best 16mm Film – 31st Festival of Brazilian Cinema, Brasilia, 1999.
- Press Award, 1st International Environmental Film and Video Festival, Goiás, Brazil, 1999.
- Brazilian Cinema Gathering, Banco do Brasil Cultural Center, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2001.
- 6th Berlin Ethno Filmfest, Berlin, Germany, 2001.
- Images from the New World, Quebec, Canada, 2001.
- 5th International Short Film Festival of Siena, Italy, 2000.
- 4th Film and Video Festival of Curitiba, Brazil, 2000.
- 12th International Short Film Festival, Clermont-Ferrand, France, 2000.
- 3rd Film Festival of Tiradentes, Brazil, 2000.
- II Amazon International Film Festival, Belém, Brazil, 1999.
- 3rd Luso-Brazilian Film Festival, Santa Maria da Feira, Portugal, 1999.
- 6th Video Cinema Festival of Vitória, Espírito Santo, Brazil, 1999.
- Latin American Film Days (Land and Liberty), Hamburg, Germany, 1999.
- XIV Latin American Film Festival of Trieste, Italy, 1999.
- Plural Brazil II Show, Munich, Germany, 1999.
- Cine Eco 99, 5th International Environmental Film and Video Festival, Seia, Portugal, 1999.
- XXVI Jornada Internacional de Cinema da Bahia, Salvador, Brazil, 1999.
- 6th International Ethnographic Film Festival, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,1999.